Collection of Personal Information
The kinds of personal information which we collect and hold generally include the following:
- Addresses (including email addresses)
- Telephone numbers
- Occupation and Job Title
We will collect your personal information only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way.
Where it is reasonable and practical to do so, we will collect your personal information only from you. If however we collect this information from someone else, we will act reasonably to ensure that you are or have been made aware of the matters listed above.
The Purposes for which we use Personal Information
The purposes for which we use personal information include the following:
- To respond to requests from individuals
- To open and administer our customer accounts
- To provide services to our customers
- For any other purpose related to the business we carry out
If you do not provide us with all or part of your personal information, we may not be able to carry out the purposes which are set out above, including the provision of professional services to you.
Use and Disclosure
As a general rule, we will not use or disclose your personal information other than for its primary purpose of collection, unless:
- You have consented to the use or disclosure; or
- You would reasonably expect us to use or disclose your non-Sensitive Information for a secondary purpose and the secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose; or
- We have reason to suspect that unlawful activity has been, or may be engaged in, and use or disclose your personal information as a necessary part of our investigation of the matter or in reporting our concerns to relevant persons or authorities; or
- The use or disclosure is required or authorised by or under law; or
- We reasonably believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary for a specified purpose by or on behalf of an enforcement body; or
- We reasonably believe the use or disclosure is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to public health or public safety or the life or health of an individual.
Disclosure of Personal Information outside of Australia
We are a member of the global network of professional bodies and in this capacity we may disclose your personal information to other members of the network and their personnel for purposes related to the provision of services to you, to comply with regulatory requirements, to check conflicts, for quality, or the provision of other administrative support services. Your personal information may be processed for these purposes in the various countries in which we and the other members of the network operate.
- We may use your personal information for our direct marketing purposes where:
- The information has been collected from you and you would reasonably expect us to use it for that purpose; or
- The information has been collected from someone other than you and we have either obtained your consent, or it is impractical for us to obtain your consent before that particular use
- We provide a simple means by which you may easily request not to receive direct marketing communications from us
- In each direct marketing communication with you, we draw to your attention, or prominently display a notice, that you may express a wish to “unsubscribe” or not to receive any further direct marketing communications
When engaging in marketing activities we will:
- Only use Sensitive Information about you if you have consented to the use or disclosure of your information for that purpose
- Always be subject to any overriding obligations under anti-spam or do-not-call legislation
We will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up to date and not misleading.
We will take reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We will not keep personal information for longer than is necessary and will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information if there is no longer a legal or business requirement for us to retain it.
We have set out in this document our policies on management of personal information and will make this document available free of charge to anyone who asks for it.
On request by a person, we will take reasonable steps to let the person know, generally, what sort of personal information we collect and hold, for what purposes, and how we collect, hold, use and disclose that information.
Access and Correction
As a general rule, we will on request by you, provide you with access to your personal information within a reasonable time after such request is made and consider any further request from you for correction of that information. We may impose a reasonable charge upon you to cover the cost of locating, retrieving, reviewing and copying any material requested.
We may in some limited circumstances choose not to provide you with access to your personal information where we are permitted to do so. This may include instances where providing access would be unlawful or providing access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy or affairs of other individuals.
In circumstances where we have refused you access to, or correction of, your personal information, we will give you a written notice that sets out:
- the reasons for the refusal where it is reasonable for us to do so; and
- the way in which you may make a complaint about such refusal.
Changes to this policy
How can an Individual Complain about Possible Breaches of Privacy
A complaint by you regarding an alleged breach of privacy by us should be forwarded in writing to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A Privacy Complaints Officer will be made available to investigate and resolve the complaint internally through mediation with you.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you can refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.